There was shortage of staff of different categories like Medical Officers, Nurse “A” Grade, ANM, Lab Technicians, OT Assistants etc at district, sub division hospitals and PHCs. In order to overcome the shortage of staff following initiatives have been taken up.
(1)Reorganizing of Existing Manpower to provide 24 X 7 hour services at the PHCs
(2) Recruitment of Doctors, ANM, Nurse ‘A’ Grade, and Support Staff at various Health Facilities is being done on massive scale through recruitment drive in order to meet the shortage of staff.
(3) 1757 Doctors recruited against 2497 posts.
(4) 233 Private Specialists have been inducted in specialties like Eye, ENT, Orthopedics, Pediatrics, Obs & Gynae and Surgery, they are provided Rs. 500/day as honorarium to meet the shortage of specialists at all levels of health facilities.
(5) 1092 ANMs recruited against 1,358 vacant sanctioned posts
(6) 5979 ANM (R) recruited against vacancies of 11964 posts till November, 2008 under NRHM.
(7) 477 Block Health Managers selected against a vacancy of 533. Selection of remaining vacancies will also be filled up very soon.
(8) Recruitment of 317 Block level Accountants against vaccines of 505 has been completed.
(9) Appointment of 1544 Ayush Doctors for APHC is in process
(10) 3810 new nurse grade 'A' post have been created in 1905 APHC (2 in each APHC) under NRHM. Out of 3810 posts 2374 have been recruited so far.